How to Break the Stranglehold on Media and Press

When Adolf Hitler was duly appointed Chancellor in 1933, ethnic Germans controlled LESS than 3% of Germany’s 4,700 papers.

The elimination of the German multi-party political system not only brought about the demise of hundreds of newspapers produced by treasonous political parties; it also allowed the state to seize the printing plants and equipment of the Communist and Social Democratic Parties, which were often turned over directly to the National Socialist Party. In a matter of months, ethnic Germans also controlled or exerted influence over independent press organs.

During the first weeks of 1933, the new regime deployed the radio, press, and newsreels to inform Germans of the pending Communist uprising, then channeled Germans into political measures that eradicated the freedom to undermine ethnic Germans and Germany in the name of “democracy”. Stormtroopers (SA) and members of the NSDAP elite paramilitary formation, the SS, took to the streets to contain or arrest political dissidents and incarcerate them in hastily established detention centers and concentration camps. NSDAP loyalists broke into traitors’ political party offices, destroying printing presses and newspapers.

Executives of the NSDAP-owned publishing house, Franz Eher, established a huge empire that drove out competition and purchased newspapers at below-market prices. Some independent newspapers, particularly conservative newspapers and non-political illustrated weeklies, accommodated to the regime through self-censorship or initiative in dealing with approved topics.

ARYANIZATION

Through measures to “Aryanize” (return businesses to ethnic Germans) via Aryan Laws, the regime also assumed control of Jewish-owned publishing companies, notably Ullstein and Mosse.

Ullstein, which published the well-known Berlin daily the Vossische Zeitung, was the largest Jewish propaganda machine in Europe by 1933, employing 10,000 people. In 1933, German officials forced the Ullstein family to resign from the board of the company and, a year later, to sell the company assets.

Owners of a worldwide advertising agency, the Mosse family, owned and published a number of major liberal papers much hated by NSDAP, including the Berlin Tageblatt; the Mosse family fled Germany the day after Hitler took power. Fearing imprisonment or death, fifth column journalists also began to flee the country in large numbers. German non-Jewish newspaper owners replaced them in part with eager novices loyal to Germany, as well as with skilled and veteran journalists gladly collaborated with the regime to make the German press German again.

PROPAGANDA MINISTRY AND THE REICH PRESS CHAMBER

The Public Enlightenment and Propaganda Ministry (PEPM), through its Reich Press Chamber, assumed control over the Reich Association of the German Press, the guild which regulated entry into the profession. Under the new Editors Law of October 4, 1933, the association kept registries of “racially pure” or “German” editors and journalists and excluded Jews and those married to Jews from the profession. PEPM officials expected editors and journalists, who had to register with the Reich Press Chamber to work in the field, to follow the mandates and instructions handed down by the ministry. In paragraph 14 of the law, the regime required editors to omit anything “calculated to weaken the strength of the Reich abroad or at home.”

The Propaganda Ministry aimed further to control the content of news and editorial pages through directives distributed in daily conferences in Berlin and transmitted via the Party offices to regional or local papers. Detailed guidelines stated what stories could or could not be reported and how to report the news. Journalists or editors who failed to follow these instructions could be fired or if believed to be acting with intent to harm Germany, sent to a concentration camp. Similar to how the Zionist press acts now, rather than suppressing news, the NSDAP propaganda apparatus instead sought to tightly control its flow and interpretation and to deny access to alternative sources of news. The difference is, the Zionist press is motivated by anti-national interests whereas the NSDAP acted on behalf of Germany’s and Germans’ interests.

TOWARD THE END OF WORLD WAR II

By 1944, the enemy ensured a shortage of newspaper and ink forced the NSDAP government to limit all newspapers first to eight, then four, and finally, two pages. Of the 4,700 newspapers published in Germany when NSDAP took power in 1933, no more than 1,100 remained. Approximately half were still in the hands of private or institutional owners, but these newspapers operated in strict compliance with government press laws and published material only in accordance with directives issued by the Ministry of Propaganda. While the circulation of these newspapers was approximately 4.4 million, the circulation of the 325 newspapers and their multiple regional editions owned by the NSDAP was 21 million. Many of these newspapers continued to publish until the end of the war.

Upon occupying Germany, Allied authorities shut down and confiscated presses owned by NSDAP organs. The last surviving German radio station, located in Flensburg, near the Danish border, made its final broadcast in the name of the National Socialist state on May 9, 1945. After reporting the news of the unconditional capitulation of German forces to the Allies, it went off the air.

POSTWAR

In the postwar US occupation zone of Germany, the military administration believed that the reestablishment of a “free” [read Jewish] press was vital to the “denazification and re-education” of Germans, and essential to the creation of [Zionist] so-called “democracy” in Germany. Therefore, the first “German” newspaper approved for publication by the obviously Jewish-controlled US military high command appeared on January 24, 1945, in Aachen, three months after the US forces captured the city.

Among those tried by the Allies as “major war criminals” for defending Germany against her Communist enemies at the kangaroo court “International Military Tribunal” in Nuremberg were the loyal and brilliant Hans Fritzsche, head of the Radio Division of the Propaganda Ministry, and the great Julius Streicher, editor of Der Stürmer, ethnic Germans who served Germany as any great nation-state should be served — loyally.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *